Tasting Friday with MexCor Wines – May 16th
Vina Requingua Puerto Viejo Sauvignon Blanc, Curico Valley, Chile 2012 – 9.57 – Hand picking, with double selection in vineyard, in the first week of March.Cool temperate climate with a Mediterranean rainfall regime, moderately warm summers (influence of the Andes) and very rainy winters. Shallow alluvial soils of sandy loam, brownish-gray, rocky; subsoil composed of boulders and rounded rocks in sandy matrix. Intense nose of gooseberry, fresh hay, asparagus and apple. Elegant with pleasant acidity and a long finish.
Brotherhood Pinot Noir New York 2010 – 14.97 – America’s Oldest Winery.This wine is light brick-red in color, has a nose of fresh berries and plums, with a hint of violets. It also displays bright fruit flavors of cranberry, cherry and black tea,which create a light to medium bodied wine with layered complexity staying true to form. Sourcing from a variety of growers, including our own Hudson Valley vineyard, helps Brotherhood achieve complexity in the wine, and the warm fermentation and gentle handling of the fruit preserves the delicate character of Pinot Noir. Barrel-aged for at least 6 months, it has a berry nose and a hint of vanilla-oak. Soft fruit flavors of strawberry, cherry and raspberry are complemented by a pronounced earthiness from wet leaves, mushroom and baking spice on the finish. Good acidity adds structure, and the wine, surprisingly, bears a faint resemblance to an AOC Bourgogne.
Uma Coleccion Shiraz 2013 – 9.97 – Grapes are gently crushed. Traditional fermentation and maceration, with selected yeasts. The process was carried out at a controlled temperature to preserve the wine’s color and aroma potential. Reminiscent notes of ripe blackberries, blackcurrants and plums, with delicate spicy notes. Smooth attack. Aroma notes are recognizable in the palate. Rich, concentrated and full-bodied. Ripe tannins and lingering finish.
Uma Coleccion Malbec 2013 – 11.97 – Grapes are gently crushed and traditionally fermented for 7 days, with daily pumping over. 30% of the wine is aged in American oak, while the remaining 70% is left evolving in epoxy-covered concrete pools. Both wines are blended in the pool. Concentrated notes of ripe plums, blackberries and blueberries. Smooth entry. Aroma notes are recognizable in the palate. Well-balanced wine with velvety tannins.