Les Garrigues Grenache Blanc 2011 – 14.57 – White – The Les Garrigues Grenache Blanc is a gentle, oaked wine, with layers of orchard and stone fruit and a fabulous texture. Hand harvested, de-stemmed and crushed, before 12 hours of cold maceration with the skins. Pressed and 80% racked to stainless steel tank, the remaining 20% to 1 year old French oak barrels for fermentation at 17-18C. Aged on the lees for 3 months. The nose shows floral notes, yellow plums, peach and hints of oak. The palate is quite rich and has a lovely texture, with flavors of golden delicious, peach and spice and a fine crisp finish. Tropical and white fruit notes, lead by white peach, guava and mango. Lush, spicy finish features plenty of vanilla and cream. “A pale yellow colour, hints of citrus fruit and oak. This expressive wine reveals its full potential on the palate.”
Uvica Viognier 2010 - 13.57 – White – Vignerons Ardéchois regroups 21 cellars and 1,500 growers in Ardèche, a region straddling the Rhône valley and the mountainous landscape of the Massif Central. Situated west of the Rhône river, Ardèche has seen a culture of winemaking for over 2,000 years. Sunny & fresh & with some of the richness that you expect from Viognier, balanced by mineral. Great as an aperitif, with fresh water fish, or poultry with cream based sauces. Some nice orange citrus notes here, and a hint of ripe sweetness, without being overly perfumed.
Vieux Logis Cairanne 2008 - 13.57 – Red – From Cave de Cairanne, the local wine cooperative. Renovated in this vintage. Le Vieux Logis Cairanne – Juicy acidity and ripe black fruit, with ripe tannins & a nice bitter mineral note that reigns in the fruit a bit on the finish. Grenache, Syrah, Carignan & Mourvedre. Hand-picked. While it was a hard vintage, we are liking this wine from the cooler Mediterranean portion of the Rhone, in a village that should get promotion to Cru status. Fruity, big, herb & spice, garrigue. Cairanne ends up being the more feminine counterpart to Rasteau, with varied soils & clay.
Ch. Gillet AOC 2010 – 11.97 – Red – is an unoaked merlot-dominated blend from Bordeaux’s less-fashionable area of Entre-deux-Mers. Some licorice on the nose, smooth. It’s also very dry with flavours of tobacco, pepper and some red fruits. This 2010 blend is mostly Merlot, and is unoaked. It has a restrained nose of plum with a little hint of a cherry edge. On the palate it is dry, savoury and classic ‘luncheon claret’; it is on the lean, perhaps even austere side and needs food, but it has elegance and medium-bodied refinement with a hint of graphite that is very Bordeaux. Not one for the lovers of big, oaky New World style, but lovely in its modest way.